Jabhat al Nusrah have again spearheaded an attack on the village of al Eis and surrounding areas in southern Aleppo, Syria, and are now reportedly in full control.
The attack allegedly began yesterday as part of a new southern Aleppo offensive by opposition groups that include both Western deemed moderate groups and fundamentalist Islamic groups.
Fighting is taking place in and around areas that include al Eis, Khan Touman, Khalidiya, Zitan, Birnah/Barnah and al Hadher.
Jabhat al Nusrah:
The assault by Jabhat al Nusrah allegedly began with heavy artillery fire and three suicide attacks before making an assault on positions within al Eis itself.
- Youtube Video Jabhat al Nusrah (01 Apr 2016) – Boot heavy weapons at rallies Shiites in eis:
- Youtube video Jabhat al Nusrah (01 Apr 2016) – Moments from the storming of eis and implementation of martyrdom operations:
- Youtube Video Jabhat al Nusrah (02 Apr 2016) – Front victory | Mujahideen creep mechanisms and flee toward eis rejectionist militia:
- Images below are taken from an official Jabhat al Nusrah video release on 02 April 2016.
- Official Tweet on Jabhat al Nusrah Twitter page (02 Apr 2016) allegedly showing the mosque in al Eis village after its capture by Jabhat al Nusrah.
- Official Tweet on Jabhat al Nusrah Twitter page (02 Apr 2016) allegedly showing the school in al Eis village after its capture by Jabhat al Nusrah.
- Official Tweet on Jabhat al Nusrah Twitter page (02 Apr 2016) allegedly showing captured weapons and vehicles by Jbhat al Nusrah in al Eis village.
- Youtube Video Jabhat al Nusrah (02 Apr 2016) – Front victory | Photography, aerial eis to the town and its surroundings after its liberation:
Just north of al Eis, western deemed moderate group Division 13 is assisting in the latest southern Aleppo offensive along with Jabhat al Nusrah, fighting to take the village of Khalidiya and suffering casualties.
- Official Division 13 Tweet (01 Apr 2016):
- Official Division 13 Tweet (01 Apr 2016): Warning: Graphic Image.
- Youtube video Division 13 (04 Apr 2016) – Band 13 ll evacuate the wounded and equipped to break into the points system forces in Khalidiya Village near Khan Tuman:
Western deemed moderate group Division 13, CIA vetted and approved to receive US military aid including TOW anti-tank missiles and al Qaeda’s Jabhat al Nusrah have worked together on many occasions and continue to do so.
This follows a recent spat between Jabhat al Nusrah and Division 13, though it appears to have either been put to one side or the suggested Sharia court intervention by Jabhat al Nusrah and agreed to by Division 13 has resolved the issue.
- After assisting each other on the battlefield previously, Division 13 and Jabhat al Nusrah are now in conflict
Other groups allegedly taking part in the current offensive in southern Aleppo include the fundamentalist Islamic groups and coalitions Ahrar al Sham, the Army of Islam, Ajnad al Sham, Liwa al Haqq, and western deemed moderate groups Jabhat Ansar al Islam and Jaish al Tahrir / Liberation Army (includes al Sham Front, Division 312, the Ninth Brigade, Division 46 and Al Haq Companies).
Ahrar al Sham (Part of the Islamic Front):
- Official Ahrar al Sham Tweet (01 Apr 2016):
- Official Ahrar al Sham Tweet (01 Apr 2016):
- Youtube video Ahrar al Sham (02 Apr 2016) – Ahrar al-Sham | Targeting Assad militias in Abu Rowell and the surrounding hills in the countryside of Aleppo with heavy weapons:
Army of Islam:
- Official Army of Islam Tweet (02 Apr 2016):
- Link to official Army of Islam website with video released on the 02 April 2016 showing the Army of Islam fighting in Khan Touman and Zitan, southern Aleppo.
Jaish al Tahrir / Liberation Army:
- Youtube Video Liberation Army (02 Apr 2016) – Reeve ‘s Liberation Army Aleppo southern scenes from storming Liberation Army Garihalkhaldah combing houses:
- Youtube Video Liberation Army (02 Apr 2016) – Reeve ‘s Liberation Army Aleppo southern burning Alosdomlishyate gangs with heavy machine guns during the progress of the Mujahideen:
After little reporting by main stream media news outlets or acknowledgement by Western politicians throughout the Syrian conflict, it is now becoming irrefutable that the Syrian opposition is not made up of predominantly Western deemed moderate, democratic forces.
It is made up of many fundamentalist Sunni Islamic groups that do not share the Western view of Syria becoming a free, secular, democratic state. It is now openly reported, even by pro-opposition activists and Western media news outlets that Jabhat al Nusrah and other fundamentalist Islamic groups are fighting alongside western deemed moderate groups.
This co-operation has persisted within Syria’s opposition throughout the conflict and should not be considered as just a recent development due to any particular circumstance or situation.
It still remains to be seen why US and Western coalition forces have avoided targeting Jabhat al Nusrah and their fundamentalist affiliates within Syria, when they have and continue to operate openly on the ground throughout the five year conflict, despite being deemed a terrorist organization.
It may be that it is seen as being too difficult to identify and accurately strike Jabhat al Nusrah fighters on the battlefield, especially when fighting alongside Western deemed moderate groups.
Or simply a contradiction the US is willing to bear due to the wishes of regional allied nations who either facilitate the support of Jabhat al Nusrah and other fundamentalist groups, or see it as a necessary and effective fighting force to battle the Assad government.
- Archicivilians has produced an info-graphic showing which alleged groups and coalitions are fighting in the southern Aleppo offensive:
The WIDER View has reported on previous co-operation by Western deemed moderate groups and fundamentalist Islamic groups on the battlefield if Syria, some of these are linked below.
- Western deemed moderate groups assisted fundamentalist Islamic groups in assault of Khan Tuman, South Aleppo, Syria
- Final report on Mount Zahiya (Bright tower) assault by Western deemed moderate and fundamentalist Islamic groups, Latakia, Syria
- Jabhat al Nusrah allegedly thanks a member of a Western deemed moderate rebel group for anti tank weapons, Syria
- Western deemed moderate group Division 16 assisted Jabhat al Nusrah in assault on Paschkoa / Baskhuy, North Aleppo, Syria
- Western deemed moderate groups are assisted by Jabhat al Nusrah in the assault on al Shaykh Maskin, North Daraa, Syria
UPDATE: 12 April 2016:
The village of al Eis in southern Aleppo has been under the control of Jabhat al Nusrah since it’s capture on the 01 April 2016.
Attempts have been made to recapture the village by Syrian, Iranian and Lebanese forces. The latest according to social media accounts allegedly resulting in a failed attack, incurring a number of casualties and fatalities among the Syrian, Iranian and Lebanese forces.